We’ve been moving homes, businesses, and college students for 22 years now, so we’ve seen it all! Sometimes our customers don’t have everything packed in time, or they have to keep delaying their move because of issues closing on their house, or they forget to label all their boxes and don’t know where to find anything in their new home. Here are the most common mistakes we see (and how to avoid them!) when it’s time to make your move.
Having an unorganized packing process.
Packing definitely takes more effort than most people assume it will when it comes time to prepare for Moving Day. We always recommend that you begin packing up your home about a month prior to your moving date. At that point, you may feel like you have plenty of time to get organized, but the process can be much more involved than you expect.
A few things to remember while packing:
- You’ll want to use professional packing supplies as opposed to the “free” boxes you can pick up from grocery stores. These boxes can be dirty, contain pests, and be weakened from previous use during shipping.
- You should also keep Moving Day necessities, such as outfits for the next week and phone chargers, separate from your other packed belongings. The last thing you want to discover after a long day of moving is that you can’t find your toothbrush and bed sheets!
- There are plenty of belongings you can pack weeks ahead of your moving date, such as out-of-season clothing and holiday decorations. Sometimes packing way before you think you need to start can even help your house sell quickly. Prospective home buyers want the homes they tour to feel open and accessible, so boxing up clutter on your bookshelves and in your toy room can make your home feel more spacious.
- Label as you go, instead of waiting to pack everything first! Sometimes it feels easier to wait until you’ve packed up a whole room before uncapping your Sharpie and labeling each box. However, you may find that you have to move the boxes around to reach all corners of the room and accidentally mix up your belongings. It’s definitely better to label as you go, preferably with different colors of permanent markers or stickers that help you easily identify which room each box belongs in.
- If you get tired of packing, let the professionals do it for you! Give us a call or text at 615-248-6288 to set up your packing services.
Forgetting unseen items.
Packing and moving is such a long, stressful process that it’s easy to forget about belongings that usually hide in storage closets, kitchen cabinets, and extra attic space. About a week before your movers come to move everything, check these places in your home so you won’t leave anything behind. We’ll often see customers forget about the top shelves in their closets, yard furniture, and their kitchen pantry.
Running out of time to clean.
You don’t want to lose your security deposit or have a new homeowner upset about moving into a mess! Many of our customers forget to block out time in their schedules to clean their old home after the movers have transferred their belongings to the new space. It doesn’t make sense to clean before the move because dirt and dust can stir within the house after movers walk in and out multiple times.
Another tip to consider is setting aside your cleaning supplies in one closet that you ask the movers not to load on their truck. Keep your floor cleaner, broom and mop, glass cleaner, etc., all in this closet so you won’t have to go out and buy more or drive out to your new home to retrieve these supplies when it comes time to clean.
Not arranging elevator and parking logistics.
When you live in a congested part of town, such as The Gulch or in a high rise downtown, you may need to speak with your property manager about a parking plan for your moving truck. Keep in mind that standard moving trucks have a 26-foot box, so you’ll want about 35-40 feet of space for them to park, roll out their ramp, and maneuver furniture. Some buildings also require you to reserve an elevator and properly pad the elevator prior to Moving Day to avoid causing delays for other tenants or damaging the elevator’s interior.
Not scheduling caregivers.
Have you considered where your children and pets will stay during the hustle and bustle of Moving Day? If you don’t have friends or family members in town who can watch the kids and critters, be sure you don’t wait until the last minute to schedule sitters. We also recommend that adult children who are moving their aging parents arrange a caregiver for the day, especially if your parents are suffering from memory issues that can cause extra confusion during the relocation.
Failing to schedule vendor changes.
When you’re moving your home, be sure to call your electric, gas, and water companies prior to the move so you can avoid being overcharged for utilities you no longer need at your old residence. This is also important because you may end up moving into a dark home if you forget to set up utilities in your new place!
While you set up these essentials, be sure to also notify your Internet service provider and the Post Office about your change of address and scheduled moving date. This is also a great time to figure out your new trash and recycling pick-up schedule. If you move within Metro Nashville, you can set up reminders for these pick-up days until you get into a new routine.
If you’re getting ready to move your business rather than your home, you’ll also want to make sure all customers and vendors know about your move. Post a banner announcement on your website, add a highlighted line in your email signature, and set up an auto attendant message on your phone so customers will know about the change. Also think through all the vendors you use for regular deliveries so you can notify them of your moving date for their records.
Waiting too late to schedule the movers.
Usually, TWO MEN AND A TRUCK can accommodate last-minute moving requests…but sometimes waiting too late can cause our prices to rise as the schedule gets packed! A good rule of thumb is calling 1-2 weeks prior to the date you wish to move. This way, you may have more flexibility to take advantage of discounted days and other seasonal specials. Give us a call or text at 615-248-6288 for a free quote, or check out our website for other moving information!