January is typically the time when we catch the bug to declutter and organize our spaces. Perhaps it’s just a carryover from putting away holiday decorations, or maybe it’s the fresh start we’re all making with the new year.
Science has proven that clutter causes stress, in large part because the mess makes it more difficult to relax. It also inhibits creativity and productivity, and causes guilt and anxiety. Studies show that people waste up to an average of one hour per day looking for items they have misplaced.
If you’re moving soon, cutting clutter means reducing the amount of stuff you’ll be moving. This results in fewer items to pack and unpack, and could be a substantial money-saver for you.
Check out these helpful online resources to help get your home organized, and keep it that way.
- Check out our Pinterest board Let’s Get Organized, for some fun and creative ideas.
- Not sure where to get started? Martha Stewart has a beautiful slide show that will walk you through an entire home organization strategy.
- Use these free and handy printables from Organized Home. The printable lists, forms, and calendar pages will keep your home and family organized. Print them out and put them in a notebook, then refer to them when needed. They’re also great go-to for babysitters, listing all the info they need in case of an emergency.
- 15 Organizing Ideas for Your Drawers (Real Simple) will help you tackle your junk drawer so you’ll spend less time looking for the gadgets you need.
- For some small-space storage ideas, check out Apartment Therapy’s article, Storage Secrets from a Pro Organizer’s Own Tiny Studio Apartment.
- House Beautiful has a slide show of 27 Absolutely Gorgeous Home Organizing Before and Afters to get you inspired.
- Design Sponge has a fabulous list of 52 Brilliant Ideas for Organizing Your Home which focuses on repurposing items you already have, and adding interest by using things in unexpected ways.
- Learn how to get started with smart tips from the MakeSpace article How To Start Decluttering Your Home: 15 Actionable Tips From Certified Professional Organizers.
- 15 Minute Clutter Sweeps for Every Room in Your Home (The Spruce) – An extensive guide to get your home free of clutter in only 15 minutes a day.
- If you can’t spare 15 minutes, try this 5-minute daily plan instead: 18 Five-Minute Decluttering Tips to Start Conquering Your Mess (Zen Habits)
- Pro Organizer Tips: What NOT To Do When Decluttering Your Home (Apartment Therapy) – don’t make these mistakes
- Try these 10 Creative Ways to Declutter Your Home from Becoming Minimalist.
- Check out HGTV’s video playlist about decluttering.
- The tried-and-true “27-fling boogie” method from Fly Lady will get you started with decluttering in just a 15 minutes.
- Check out DIY Network’s photo gallery with 12 Creative Craft Room Storage Ideas.
- House Beautiful has 10 Genius Storage Ideas for Your Kid’s Room that are creative and unique.
- The Family Handyman has 51 Brilliant Ways to Organize Your Garage.
- Take a look at these 29 Incredibly Clever Laundry Room Organization Ideas via Buzzfeed.
- For tight budgets, Cute DIY Projects has 36 Dollar Store Kitchen Organization Hacks You Can Pull Off Like Child’s Play.
We hope the above resources were enough to get you inspired to start organizing your home. We found one simple but common notion in our research: Don’t be intimidated by this project; the most important thing is to just get started!
TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® is the first and largest franchised moving company in the United States. We serve the Mesa, Phoenix, and Tucson, Arizona areas. Let us help move you forward too! For more helpful tips and information on moving services, subscribe to our blog or like us on Facebook: TMT Mesa – TMT North Phoenix – TMT Tucson.